17th Most Popular

The lives of 2 blonds and a brunette.


Friday, July 16, 2010

Say What?

As my pregnancy progressed and I move firmly into the "she's pregnant" from the "is she fat or pregnant" stage, strangers started talking to me. (Thankfully, they are only talking, not touching.) Over the last few months, and really the last few weeks especially, I have collected a number of phrases that should not be mentioned to pregnant women... remember, we are hormonal messes and you never know what we might do if you offend us.

First Scenario:
Stranger: Oh, you look great! How far along are you?
Me: 7 months
Stranger: Oh, I would have guessed you were MUCH further along.
Translation: You look HUGE!

Second Scenario:
Stranger: Oh, you look wonderful... any day now?
Me: No, I have 2 months to go.
Stranger: Wow, that's going to be one big baby!
Translation: You look HUGE!

Third Scenario:
Stranger: Oh, what are you having?
Me: A little girl.
Stranger: Huh, I would have guessed boy by the way you are carrying. I'm betting boy... I think they read that ultrasound wrong!
Translation: PANIC!!!

Fourth Scenario:
Stranger: Oh, how far along are you?
Me: 7 months.
Stranger: 7 months, really? Is there just one in there?!?!
Me: Yep, just one little girl.
Stranger: Are you sure? I think there's two in there!
Translation: You look huge and PANIC!

You may notice that every scenario starts with: Oh! As in, you are so cute (that is great to hear) but then moves into (you are cute but you are going to be/already look huge). My advice to all my readers (and for me to remember myself) don't ever insinuate a pregnant lady is huge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. The things some people say. When I say that you look great, I really do mean it. I am not just saying it to make you feel better. However, when you're 39 weeks pregnant, swollen, and cranky - be assured that I will not tell you that you look great. :)

Great post!

Isabella said...

The worst I heard when I was pregnant was during labour. We were at the business end of things, the obsetrician walks in, takes one look at me and says "Oh, looks like you are going to have a big baby!".

Surely, the first thing an obstetrician should learn is not to say that to a woman giving birth.

Kraneia said...

next time someone implies you're big, just pat your belly and say "Yup, and we're all baby!" that ought to confuse them.

Scratch

Christina_lynne07 said...

I just had a baby girl 8 weeks ago. I worked full time at a doctors office up until the day I went into labor. And everyday I encountered these phrases that never should be said to a pregnant woman haha. I would just smile and nod.

The one I hate worst though, even more than the you're huge for how far along you are, is like when you said they would have guessed you're having a boy. People would say that to me too...I'm like nooo they got the money shot, it's definitely a girl. thanks.

People need to keep comments to themselves!

Congrats on the baby tho! She will be a blessing in your life!

Rhenicia said...

just came across your blog & i just love it! all of those comments ppl make haha... they used to do the saaame thing to me! i gained more than 40lbs when i was pregnant! (my daughter is 10 months now) pregnancy = beauty. xoxo