17th Most Popular

The lives of 2 blonds and a brunette.


Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Best and Worst of VB

Harry and I have compiled a list of the best and worst Christmas decorations in our neighborhood. We have noticed that MANY of our neighbors have really gone overboard with their decorations. Here are the best, and the worst, that Victoria Bay has to offer...

First off, here is our house... not the most elaborate, but we feel like it conveys the Christmas spirit. Harry's car in the drive helps, he has reindeer antlers on the front of the Passat.


Next, we feel this house has tastefully decorated using icicle lights, lights on the railing, and lights in the bushes.


We also enjoy this house which, again, has not gone too far.


Now, as you have probably noticed, we don't go for the really overboard decorations. We don't have any blow-up creatures, nothing moves or blinks, and we do not have a landing strip on our front lawn for Santa Claus. However, the people who own the following houses LOVE to really go wild with the decorations.

At this house, please notice the 10 foot polar bear wearing a sweater and cap sitting on the roof. You can't really see from the picture, but he is sitting on a teeny tiny stool. Why, because everybody knows that at Christmas time polar bears lumber south to sit on your roof.


Ummm, hello multi-colored lights thrown everywhere.


Yikes, what's the theme?? I think it might be "half off at Big Lot's".


This has been one of our favorites for the past 3 years. We just learned this year, via flier stuck in our newspaper box, that this next house is dedicated to the fight against breast cancer (I guess the red streams of lights are actually pink, I just don't see it). But hey mom, this P.O.S. is for you! (and yes, that is a snowflake bleeding the red, errr... pink, streams from the roof)


This one is fabulous because the back of their house is visible from our house. When we step out on our front porch we can see the reindeer and the tree that is light, up on the roof. I think that the picture speaks for itself.


And last but absolutely NOT LEAST, these people have really rocked out with the Christmas spirit. I don't really know what to say other than yes... those ARE 2 blinking landing strips of lights with a sign that reads, "Santa, Land Here!".


Oh yes... the side view, where the "Santa Land Here!" sign is visible on the left side.


Merry Christmas Everyone!

4 comments:

Karen said...

I personally like the 'over the top' displays. There was a house in my old neighborhood that would put the displays on your blog to shame. Every year, the owner would cover every foot of his house and property with lights and displays. He did it for his son who had a terminal illness and loved to see the bright lights at Christmas because they weren't sure if it would be his last.

I can't help but smile every time I see a house bursting with the Christmas spirit. It makes me feel like a kid again :)

Clay and I plan to decorate our future house National Lampoon's style. You better watch out...
:)

Madison, Luke, and Alexander said...

I think the one house looks like it has a jellyfish hanging from it. Nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the post! Last year in Andy's old neighborhood, there was a house that had an American flag made out of lights on one side of the roof, and a confederate flag on the other. Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a confederate flag!
I still do live in Ohio right?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I'm Beth by the way. I forgot to sign my name!